Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bushwalk 6 - Woy Woy Rd to Girrakool

I head off to Italy on Monday (yay!), so we're nearing the end of my bushwalking adventures for now. Walk 6 was back on the Central Coast, following another section of the Great North Walk, this time from Woy Woy Rd (near Staples Lookout) to Girrakool.

I really enjoyed this walk - it's the first one we did where we couldn't hear any traffic noise. Once we got a few kms in, the only sounds were the wind & the birds. It was a little eerie, but mostly a wonderful feeling.

We started high up at a track just off Woy Woy Rd and quickly descended to Kariong Brook Falls. It was at about this point that I developed a fear of walking downhill. We all know the theory 'what goes up must come down'. Well, I've developed a new theory that applies to bushwalking -'What goes down must come up'. With every step further down into the valley, I just knew there would be another (more difficult) step back up the other side. I was right, but more about that later.

Here is my amateur shot of the Falls.
And here is the professional shot by the bro. Puts me to shame.
This is a pool next to the Falls - I just couldn't get over how clear & pure the water was - it looks like glass in this photo.
Most of this track consists of sandy trails, interspersed with large swathes of sandstone. Remember how I said the Patonga to Pearl Beach track was a great spot for death adders? Well, so is this - the leaf litter at the side of the track is perfect habitat. So just keep your wits about you.
Here is one of the sandstone sections. I loved these parts - very easy walking, which meant I could appreciate the views more.
Many of these walks, and particularly this one, caused me to reflect on the amount of habitat destruction that has occurred due to our love of sandstone. Sandstone quarrying in NSW has led to the Broad-Headed Snake becoming a threatened species, and I think it's a tragedy that our wildlife needs to suffer so that we can build a nice looking retaining-wall in the backyard. It's time we start to rethink our use of this precious resource.

One thing that has been really lovely on all the walks is the wildflowers. So here's some of them - I don't know the name of this first one.
A sparse-looking grevillea.
A very pretty banskia.
And a banskia cone - which immediately reminded me of May Gibbs' banksia men.
This walk was riddled with great views - here is one of Mooney Creek.
This sandstone had deep lines carved into the stone - presumably by water flowing over the rock. I was in awe of the patterns - just imagining the thousands of years it would have taken to occur.
I mentioned earlier that every step down would mean a step up again. I was right - as we had to reach the top of Scopas Peak. While the steps up were more difficult than the steps down, it wasn't as bad as previous climbs. Plus, the views at the top were inspiring. This is Mount Wondabyne from the Peak.
Looking down on this landscape I was struck again by the denseness of the bush - treetops were all I could see in every direction.

And here is another treat - a panoramic shot of me checking out the view from the Peak.
More sandstone patterns - this time hundreds of small holes. I imagine this would look amazing after rain.
After feeling so isolated for so long on this track, I was surprised to suddenly come across this view of the F3 freeway & Mooney Mooney bridge.
Once we got into Girrakool the landscape changed quite dramatically - we left behind the dry sandstone for a rainforest habitat. We also came across some more brush turkeys on the track - and here is one of their nests - this was almost as tall as me.
We rested in Rat Gully for a little while and I thought the arrangement of these sandstone boulders was quite fetching - nice one Mother Nature.
The Piles Creek walk in Girrakool passes through a few sandstone caves. I remember walking this track on school excursions as a child & back then, I was in awe of their size. I would walk underneath & gaze up at the patterns and feel so small. This time, I had to walk in a crouch to fit underneath the overhang. It made me feel old.
Another cave.
When you get to the end of the Piles Creek walk you're on the opposite side of the Creek to the carpark. I experienced a moment of terror as I contemplated wading through the rapids before I remembered these cute stepping stones which transported us safely (and dryly) across the Creek.

The Stats
Distance: About 13km
Time: 4hrs
Difficulty: Medium-Hard (particularly at the Girrakool end)

No comments:

Post a Comment