Sunday, October 30, 2011

Playing at Luna Park

A couple of weekends ago S & I decided to revisit our childhoods & head to Luna Park for the day. I only remember going to the Sydney one once when I was very young (although I have been to the Melbourne Luna Park a few times as an adult).

It's perfect weather and views like these that are making my decision on whether to live in Sydney or Melbourne very very difficult.
Our first glimpse of the slightly-creepy smiling entrance.
As soon as we walked through the gates I quickly regressed to childhood, skipping along & practically bursting with impatience to try all the rides!
I adored the clowns when I was young, but at $5 a go, decided to give them a miss.
The carousel is a beautifully-restored 1900 original, still with its 1904 organ.
The first ride we tried was quite sedate - the Ferris Wheel.
It's quite pretty with the harbour & bridge as a backdrop.
The views were amazing - this is looking over the park to Lavender Bay.
One thing the day brought home to me was just how old I'm getting - I actually got scared going down the slippery dip at Coney Island, the relatively sedate Wild Mouse rollercoaster had me gripping the carriage in terror and to top it off, the 'Ranger' pirate ship left me feeling ill for the rest of the day.
I had wanted to go on the Flying Saucer, but after watching it do it's spinning thing up into the air I gave it a miss & happily waved S off to some stomach-churning fun.
After we had squeezed as much out of our unlimited rides pass that my stomach would allow, we settled down for a beer at The Deck. It's got one of the best views in Sydney, and the prices aren't that bad, considering.
We couldn't sit around drinking beer all day, so soon it was time to say goodbye.
But not before one last shot of Australia's 2 most famous icons.
We decided to walk back over the bridge since I've never done it. Walking underneath the barbed wire feels a bit intimidating, but I guess that's what our world has come to these days.
At least there are views like these to distract you.
I had a great day at Luna Park - it's not cheap, but definitely worth the cash for your next Sydney adventure. If I eventually decide to live in Sydney, I'll definitely be getting an annual pass so I can enjoy unlimited fun all year round!

No comments:

Post a Comment