Friday, September 16, 2011

Italia Day 15 - Amalfi Coast

I was meeting a friend on Tuesday late morning so I had a slow start to the day. Each day has started and finished the same so far - standing on my balcony & admiring the view. Here it is about 7am - the sun is already high in the sky.
I had been for a quick swim at the beach opposite my hotel the previous afternoon, and a swim was also the first thing on H's agenda after she checked into her hotel. We headed straight down to La Praia - a very cute pebble beach down a short set of stairs. There are a number of restaurants & shops at the bottom - what a dream place to work. The pebbles here were smaller than those in Taormina, so my poor feet weren't too badly punished.
We chilled at the beach for a couple of hours, then decided to head to Positano for some lunch. Along with Amalfi, Positano is the other major tourist spot on the Amalfi. Despite the crowds, I still quite liked it. From the bus stop above town it looks like a toy village.
All the 'streets' around Positano are basically staircases.
The beach isn't as nice as those in Praiano - it is half-pebble, half black sand, so a chair is the way to go.
After the tour buses left about 5pm I really enjoyed Positano - there are a lot of artists which provides some interest, plus a lot of higher-end tourist shops, containing mostly clothing, way out of my price range.

The sunsets on the Amalfi seem to get better every day. This is looking back towards Praiano from Positano.

No comments:

Post a Comment