Monday, September 26, 2011

Italia Day 24 - Firenze

It's official. I have fallen in love and his (her?) name is Firenze. This beautiful city is the highlight of my Italian trip, I only wish I had spent more than 2 nights there.

Day 1 involved a 3hr train ride from Roma, followed by finding the flat we had rented (which was in a really nice area on the other side of the river to the main tourist district), then I did some work. So, not really much time for sightseeing.

We decided to head out for a quick drink before dinner & found the awesomest bar ever just near the flat. La Cite Libreria Cafe is part political bookshop, part cafe, part gallery, part bar.
It's got a piano (I really felt like bashing out some tunes - wish I wasn't so out of practice).
It's got an upstairs balcony.
And it has books! I was in heaven.
We could easily have stayed all night, but we wanted to make a home cooked meal so we dragged ourselves away. After a beautifully fresh Tuscan feast we headed out to check out another bar we had spotted earlier that day. It was right opposite La Cite, but I can't remember the name. There was a stage set up with drums & guitars, so we settled in to see what would happen.
What happened was one of the funniest gigs I have ever seen. It was an Iggy Pop cover band and all the songs were sung in English (interspersed with Italian in the breaks). The singer was entirely outrageous, jumping around this tiny bar, banging the tambourine on his bum and just generally going wild.
About halfway through the bands set along came the most stereotypically sleazy Italian man I have ever seen - skintight leopard print pants & shirt (open to reveal his sexy chest hair of course), hair slicked back, even had the moustache. He must have been the bar owner because a couple of the gorgeous girls were dancing with him and it's the only explanation I can possibly live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment