Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Italia Day 28 - Venezia

Wow - up to date again! Today started with an early run again - this time I aimed for the northern side of Venice to see the Laguna Veneta. Here is an intersection, Venetian style.
The part that I ran too was much more residential - here is some washing hanging out to dry - proof that real people do live here.
Another beautiful, quiet, canal.
Sunrise across the lagoon.
I headed off early & hopped on the Number 1 Vaporetto for San Marco. I could have walked, but what's a visit to Venice without getting on the water? Luckily I was able to nab a spot by the side so I could take some photos. Here is the central police station - these blue & white pylons are all over the city. I wonder what the fine is for parking your gondola in a police spot?
This made me smile - workman fixing a broken 'street' light.
Gondala parking.
Obviously it's been done the same way here for hundreds of years, but I still can't get used to the fact that EVERYTHING is done on water here - including wine delivery.
Heading under the Ponte di Rialto.
The wine men again - reached their destination.
Delicate manoeuvring of the gondalas.
One advantage of paying extra for a small boat trip would be the chance to explore the dozens of smaller canals that lead off the Grand Canal.
Heading past Palazzo Grassi, which I visited yesterday.
Coming up to Ponte dell'Academia - with the sun high in the sky.
DHL couriers doing their thing.
Shortly followed by the postman.
After 30min or so the boat dropped me at San Marco & I joined the already long queue to enter the Basilica. There were no photos allowed inside, but here is a peek of what it was like - this is an intricate golden mosaic. The ceilings inside the cathedral are covered with these - it's quite beautiful. Unfortunately, due to the number of people that visit, boardwalks have been installed to protect the mosaic floors & most areas of the church are roped off.
I hadn't actually planned on paying to visit the bell tower, but once I looked up I was itching to climb it. I had another particularly annoying tourist approach me at the bottom. She wanted to know how much entry cost and then complained about paying and asked me 'what will I see anyway?'. I just stared at her and said as politely as I could, 'Ummm... Venice'. What did she think she was going to see - Rome? Tourists! I wish I wasn't one of them...
Unfortunately it was elevator only to the top, but the views were still spectacular. This is looking down on Piazza San Marco.
Across to the Grand Canal.
The crowds below.
One of the bells. Looking at the state of the stairs, I can understand why people aren't allowed to climb the tower anymore. Still, it would have been nice...
Another view of the Grand Canal.
The top of the Basilica.
The tower's shadow on Venice below. What struck me the most was the fact that you can't see the canals from up there - from above Venice looks like any other city.
My proof shot. I was so intent on not dropping the camera I forgot to smile.
The tower & the Basilica - very different, but equally impressive, structures.
I packed a lot in to the morning. From the bell tower it was straight to Palazzo Ducale. The museum is a fascinating insight into Venetian history & the role the Doge's have played. Photos weren't allowed in any of the inside areas, but I managed to get a couple of shots outside. This is the internal courtyard.
This small slot was where anonymous accusations of crimes could be submitted.
View from the prisons out to the Grand Canal.
An impressive marble staircase, flanked by statues of Neptune & Mars.
I finished my morning with a visit to Museo Correr, mainly because entry was included in the ticket price to the Palazzo Ducale. It houses an impressive collection of renaissance paintings, sculptures and hundreds of artifacts from Venetian history. My highlight were the two libraries - they had books from 800AD on display, very special. No photos allowed again, so take my word for it - it's worth a visit. By this stage I was about ready to collapse and headed back to the hostel, where I am sitting now, typing this.

On the way I passed this canal filled with gondolas. All I could think was 'where gondolas go to die...'.
Tomorrow I plan on making a day trip to Padua, so stay tuned for more adventures in Veneto.

No comments:

Post a Comment