Friday, September 16, 2011

Italia Day 16 - Amalfi Coast

As I sink into the slower pace of life in Praiano my urge to sightsee & take tons of photos is diminishing. I just want to relax & enjoy the ride, so to speak. My third day on the Amalfi didn't involve much 'doing'. I had a wander around town in the morning, then caught a local bus up the hill to San Luca for lunch with a friend of my tax boss man. This is the view from the piazza opposite her house (and also pretty much the view from her balcony - lucky thing).
Italian hospitality is unlike everything I have ever experienced. I was treated to a delicious 3 course vegan meal - including pasta with fresh tomato sauce, roasted eggplant with salsa, fresh bread & fresh fruit for dessert. All from somebody who had never met me before. As they say, 'anybody who is a friend of...'. Very special.

After such a huge lunch (not used to eating so well), I had a short rest, a swim, then went into town to check out some of the bars that had been recommended to me. First stop was Vivaro Wine Bar. It was the perfect spot to sit & admire the sunset - one of the best vantage points in Praiano.
Vivaro is run by the lovely Gennaro - always keen to chat & 100% committed to great food, wine & service.
The changing colours were mesmerising.
After trying (unsuccessfully) to pay for my glass of wine at Vivaro, I walked back down the hill slightly to Hotel Le Fiorere. Part hotel, part bar, Le Fiorere is a family affair, currently hosted by the son, Luigi. It's a very friendly bar & a great spot to sit & watch the world go by. Luigi is also a fantastic host & also very happy to chat.
I could have stayed for hours, but I was very sleepy so reluctantly said goodnight to Luigi (who also insisted on giving me a free drink - how do they make money?), knowing I would be back the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment