Wednesday, November 23, 2011

NZ Day 12 - Milford Tramp

Our last night on the track was spent in Dumpling Hut. It too had the awe-inspiring views of towering mountains that we had now grown used to.
We had been so lucky to get 3 days of sunshine we weren't surprised that the weather forecast for day 4 was rain. But we still got half a day of overcast skies before it actually started to rain. So lucky. Especially because Day 4 was actually the longest distance we had to walk - 18km (if you don't count the 5km side-trip to Sutherland Falls on Day 3). We knew we had to power through those 18km if we were going to reach the 3pm ferry. Even though the rangers kept saying 'you haven't really experienced the Milford Track if you haven't experienced it in the rain', I was quite happy to go without that particular novelty.

Loved this lake we walked past - the water was super still.
There were swing-bridges right along the track, but it seemed to me like there were more on the last day than on any other.
Even though we were all sore and tired from the previous day's exertions, we did have enough energy to stop & look at the scenery. This is Bell Rock - a small cave we crawled into - inside it has been hollowed out by water in the shape of a bell. Those are B's legs you can spy.
Bell Rock sits conveniently next to Mackay Falls - a particularly pretty cascading waterfall high up in the valley.
The track was fairly easy walking on the last day (thank god), but no less picturesque.
I couldn't resist a few last photos of the mountains we were leaving behind.
Yet another impressive waterfall - this is Giant's Gate Falls - I liked them because the water was being pushed through such a small opening, it almost looked like snow.
The home stretch - wide and smooth... oh yeah.
The 33 mile marker. The track was only supposed to be 33 miles. Of course, we all realised it wouldn't be exactly 33 miles. But I expected to be at least able to see the hut from here. I couldn't. In fact, it was another 1/2 mile up the track. By this stage we were all in our own heads and own zones and had split up. I know I was swearing at the unfairness of it all as I trudged that last 1/2 mile.
I have no idea where I pulled the extra energy from to keep going, but the human body is amazing like that - it found something somewhere & delivered me safely to the end. I nearly started crying when I saw this. You can just see B doing a bit of a victory dance :-)
And look, here's proof - tired, but also high on adrenaline & proud that I pushed through the pain & discomfort to conquer the Milford Track!

The Stats
Distance: 53.5km (33.5 miles)
Time: 4 days
Difficulty: Classed as Easy by DOC, but with a fair few medium & hard bits thrown in for good measure

No comments:

Post a Comment