Thursday, November 17, 2011

NZ Day 3 - Nelson to Kaikoura

From Nelson we were making our way fairly quickly down south as we were starting the Routeburn tramp in a couple of days (more about that later). But first I had to go for a run in Nelson. It was even prettier early in the morning, with lots of meandering paths along the river like this one.
I was heading back up the hill to the Centre of NZ, as I'd seen a runner doing it the day before and thought it was worth a shot. The track was very pretty.
I'll admit, I didn't run ALL the way up - the path gets pretty steep near the top. But I got most of the way. And the views were predictably beautiful on that clear morning.
On my way back to the hostel, I passed the library and had a peek through the windows - it looked very inviting inside.
Later that morning we filled up on coffee & breakfast at a cafe near the hostel. I can't remember what it was called, but it had this awesome sign in the window - how appropriate for a librarian! (though I don't follow the advice myself - my reading choices can get pretty shameful at times).
We drove the Coast route, passing through Kaikoura on the way. The landscape was stunning, with the ocean framed by the snow-capped mountains.
And of course, there's the fur seals.
Kaikoura has a sanctuary where you can see dozens of them right from the carpark.
They were so cute, I had to get my photo taken with one!
What a life!
Walking back to the van, I suddenly realised there were heaps more sleeping under the trees.
This guy came up the beach as we were walking along - what a poser!
Then he went for a bit of a walk & kindly did some more posing for us.
I loved this guy the most - he was just laying on his back under the sea wall, soaking up the sun. I don't think it's possible to be more chilled out.

No comments:

Post a Comment